Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's all in the Lights

A couple of weekends ago, Corey and I did something with our girls that I have been waiting to do since we were pregnant with Bethany.



(Watching the parade with my girls)

As a little girl, like for most little girls, Christmas held a world of wonder for me. The lights, the sounds, the shopping and of course the gifts. But of those, the part that I looked forward almost the most (it would be a lie to say that at 10 I didn't look forward to my stocking Christmas morning. In fact, it would be a lie to say I don't still look forward to my stocking Christmas morning...) was the lights. Every year, Hope held it's "Lights of Hope" festival, where what seemed like the whole town piled into the park, drinking hot chocolate, listening to the local musical talent belt out Christmas tunes, waiting for the countdown. 10! 9! 8! 7! 6! 5! 4! 3! 2! 1! The switch would be thrown, turning the park and main street into a glittering wonderland.

(It was so windy this is the best I could get)
My parents took us each year to the lights of Hope, and then we'd pile into the car and drive around checking out all the lights on the homes around town. Everyone worked hard to have their lights done in time, and it was something that both my brother and I loved.


(Daddy and his girls)

While Chilliwack doesn't have a "Lights of Hope" festival they do have a Santa Claus parade and some awesome displays of lights. We tried taking Bethy out last year but after 2 houses she was bored and we went home. But not this year.


(Audrey wanted to pay for the ice cream)

We had an early supper (Cinnamon French Toast made with sweet potato, awesome recipe! Bethy even ate my piece), washed up the girls, put them in warm jammies, housecoats, slippers, toques and mitts and headed out. We bundled them in warm blankies in the back of Daddy's Blazer and off we went.


(Getting ready to head out)

It was wonderful, we managed to sneak a spot down where the parade started, so we didn't have to get out (we weren't planning on fighting the windy night that it was for the parade. It turned out to be a God thing, getting a parking spot so close). The girls sat on our laps as we watched all the floats go by, then we got Daddy and B an ice cream cone and drove around looking at the fantastic lights until both girls drifted off to sleep.




It was wonderful. That evening left me feeling refreshed, blessed and content. Hearing Bethany gasp "Look at that house Daddy!" or "Santa Claus!" was wonderful and the time together as a family was nice. It was just us and it was just, what the doctor ordered.



(Stone Driver's training course level 1)


CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY #3 is still happening!

Hint #2: I received my first Cabbage Patch Doll (which I collected for years) in 1984. Her name was Orsen and she was technically a He(at least that's what her clothes, hair and birth certificate said. Thank goodness they aren't anatomically correct). But if you asked me, He was a SHE!

2 comments:

kim @ mommyknows said...

Great photos. The girls are so cute.

We don't have any parades here, but there is a 'light show' called Candy Cane Lane. We have gone because it's been -40 (and worse) for the last week.

There's still time :)

Kimmies said...

Ashley,
Those are some very heartwarming pictures. It brings such joy to my heart when I see you and Corey with the girls, they are so very precious. I can't wait to see you all soon. We wish you the very Merriest Christmas. God bless you all, Love John/grandpa & Mom/grandma.