Friday, August 6, 2010

About Getting Older

The other day, while waiting for my Booster Juice to get the shake down I picked up a copy of  "The Coffee Coach - Chilliwack Edition"  It's something like "Coffee News" and is full of interesting little articles and witty snipits. 

Being that I'm a book lover, that makes me a reading lover.  If I don't have a book to read, I'll pick up a newspaper, a cereal box or the bottle of Tylenol on the counter for something to read.  I can't just sit and stare at a wall.  So, in usual fashion I was reading away, mildly interested until I found the "Perks of the Week" on the back.  A few of them actually made me giggle out loud.

Audrey's favourite Breakfast food. Every morning after her milk I hear, "Nana? Nana? NANA!"

Since it's Friday, I thought I'd share  and start your weekend off with a smile.  The subject of this week's Perks, "About Getting Older"

Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

Some people try to turn back their odometers.  Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.

When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think of Algebra.

I don't know how I Got over the hill without getting to the top.

Being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.

If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.

I was mildly interested in these (although the odometer one made me smile) until the last one.  I don't think you have to wait until you're old to laugh at trouble, because unless I'm old (and you are NOT to answer that) I find some kinds of said trouble funny.  I think it more takes becoming a parent, if I didn't laugh sometimes at the antics of our girls I wouldn't survive the days. 

This is what I got when I asked Bethany to "Smile beautiful".  I could help but laugh, she was far to into her Banana and Dora to actually smile.

The problem is, there are times when it's seriously not funny, the girls are throwing around a 'tude or having a screaming contest.  I hate kids screaming, we have a rule in our house that real screams are saved for emergencies only.  I don't want them playing and screaming because a) my eardrums can't take it and b) I'll get used to it being a "play sound" and then something horrible will happen, they'll get hurt or someone will try to take them and I won't respond.  That fear motivates me to have said rule.  However, the look on their faces, particularily Audrey's makes me laugh until I cry, making the demands to stop and the threat of punishment virtually useless.  Oh well, we'll get there, or I'll punish them with my eyes closed, one way or another that kind of trouble won't be funny for long...I hope.

Do you have any words of wisdom or anicdotes about aging that need to be added to the list?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know you are getting older when the kids you babysat are now getting married.