Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Breast Wishes


I love cookbooks.  I thoroughly enjoy flipping through pages, reading recipes, looking at pictures.  I love imagining cooking new things for my family (notice I said "imagining" not doing, I'm a horrible procrastinator, and my new things list is longer than my left leg) and that they'd love them.  Over all, cookbooks rock.

Normally I borrow them from the library first.  That way I can determine if a book is worth the buy.  I read it, if I love the whole thing it goes on my list of cookbooks I'd like to own.  If I only find one or two good recipes then I write them out for my recipe binder and return the book.   This has saved me oodles over the years and has prevented a shelf full of unused books. 

The other day however I found a cookbook that touched on not only my love for cooking but also a cause that is near and dear to me.  It's the Breast Wishes from Breast Friends 3rd Cookbook.  This book is made up of recipes from cancer survivors and their families.  It's full of stories and anicdotes and the money goes towards finding a cure for cancer. 

Everyone knows someone touched by cancer.  If it's not someone in your immediate family, it may be a friend, or the mother of a friend or a co-worker.  Cancer is expanding it's reaches and without a cure it's only going to get worse.  I know one day cancer will something we only read of in the history books like the Plague, but for now it runs rampant and it's overwhelming.

It touches me, and so, I bit the bullet and bought the book.  Good cause all around and maybe I'd get a few good recipes.  While I haven't cooked anything yet, it's looking promising.  More than a few of the recipes have jumped out at me as things that the kids and Corey will love, Score!  And some of the stories and side  notes have made me both laugh and cry.

Since today is one of those laugh kind of days, I thought I'd share this one with you.  It flat out made me laugh out loud (not LOL - that makes me want to scream!) and I hope it does for you too!

You might not know this, but some non living things are actually male or female.
Freezer bags are male - they hold everthing in, but you can see right through them
Tires are male - They go bald easily and are often over inflated.
Hammers are male - in the last 5000 years, they have hardly changed at all, and are occasionally handy to have around
Remote control's are female - (ha! Bet you thought it would be male) It easily gives a man pleausre, he'd be lost without it and while doesn't always know which buttons to push, he just keeps trying.

No comments: