Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Who's On Second

Some time ago, right about 5 years back in fact, Corey and I were having a conversation.  We'd had many before and we've had many, many since, but this particular conversation stands out in my mind.

Corey was trying to explain something to me, what, I don't remember (Hey! I've had two kids who have robbed me not only of 1/2 my brain cells but also 8 hours of sleep for the past 3.5 years, cut me some slack!) but that's not really important.  What matters is that I wasn't understanding.  I know, you're amazed, that I, a person that can talk a mile a minute, while washing dishes and listening to Oprah, couldn't possibly understand, but it does happen.  Wonders never cease, and I was confused.

It was obvious that Corey was getting frustrated.  It was a simple concept, probably something mechanics related (after all this time I have learned to smile, nod and bank his phrases to memory.  Then when someone's talking about car stuff, I pull out a phrase like - "It must be the pistons" or "Sounds like an impeller", which allows me to sound really smart or look like a complete idiot.  But whatever, I chance it) and no matter how he explained it, or how I'd repeat it back I was missing the point.

As our newly in love air began to get thick I did what I do quite often when conflict could be on the horizon.  I make a pass at being funny.  The way I see it, if I can't make my co-partner in the conversation department laugh from my sheer wit, they're bound to snicker at how ridiculous the situation is.  No matter how you shake it, conflict avoided, situation smoothed.

So, I said to him, mid sentence - "Who's on Second?", completely expecting a solid laugh from Corey.  What I hadn't banked on was this blank and now equally confused expression.  "What the heck are you talking about? Weren't you listening?"

He missed it.  I, being the persistant and some what stubborn driven person that I am tried again - "I don't know's on third"  He didn't say anything this time, and really didn't need to.  It was evident that Corey had completely missed the boat.

It was then that I discovered, my dear Corey-B had been deprived of one of the funniest skits of all time.  Abbott and Costello's "Who's on Second" routine that has brought me great deals of laughter over a great many years.   Our conversation then took a turn from there, and I spent the better part of an hour trying to explain how it went.

Since then, I've found it on YouTube and showed him, sharing a laugh as it all came to light for Corey.  His life is now better having seen it.

 Tonight while talking to my Mom, during a conversation the perfect moment arose, and out came "Who's on second".  She laughed and we carried on, but that moment reminded me of that day. 

And so, since I'm sure Corey isn't the only poor soul to never have had the priveldge of this clip, I have decided to share it with you.  In hopes that you'll not only laugh, but then should you and I ever be talking, and I say something like "Who's on second" you won't head for the yellow pages, in search of a mental facility, but instead will laugh.  Or, more appropriately reply, "Who's on FIRST!"


What about you?  Any super fantastic, funny clips you want to share?  I'd love to have you email them to me so that over a few weeks I can share some of life's funniest moments to those who may have missed them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Chris Costello and I loved reading your story! Dad and Bud would be proud to know their routine is still providing laughter for yet another generation of fans ... thank you for posting! If you and your family are interested, we have a family-hosted A&C cruise going out next year in October aboard Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas. 7-nt Canada/New England ("Time Of Their Lives" theme)departing out of Boston. If interested, email me and I'll attach our flyer - chrisco815@aol.com

Thank you again - loved the post!

Chris Costello